

It only took me 27 years and 2 days but I finally managed to break a bone! On April 19th I was playing softball as I do every Sunday and I hit the ball and on the way down to first base I was contemplating whether or not to slide (I know what your thinking...you never slide into first base, but I do!) and I guess I attempted to slide and my foot got stuck in a patch of dirt and SNAP went my ankle.
So as I was down on the ground I knew my ankle was broke I said "Someone call an ambulance my ankle is broke" it felt like forever before someone called. "Can someone call Hubby too" Hubby was getting ready for work and already dressed when they called him. Needless to say he called out of work and met me at the hospital. They asked me if I wanted to move off the field and when I went to lift up my leg my foot just fell over. I didn't cry I was too much in shock to do that but then the ambulance showed up...
...When they lifted me up to put me on the stretcher, that was the most pain I have ever been in and I screamed out in pain when they lifted me up. So when I got to the hospital they gave me x-rays and the first picture is of how my ankle looked when I got to the hospital. When the ER doctor came in to look at me she said "Oh that doesn't look good, I'm gonna go look at your X-rays and when she came back she said "It's bad, your gonna need surgery." I was so upset because I never had surgery so I just cried.
My ankle was broken in three different places and dislocated. So since it was not 'life threatening' the surgery was going to have to wait until tomorrow. I couldn't eat anything after midnight so Hubby went out and got me something to eat but I threw it up so I didn't eat anything. The doc came in the next morning and told me he had 9 surgeries in front of mine and I just had to wait...so I waited and waited. Until the took me down at 6:30pm for surgery.
The second picture is what they did. The doc put a plate in with 7 screws and the other side needed a pin for that break. The doc did a great job and I couldn't be happier with the results...so far.
I am still in a cast and get it off on June 3rd, I am looking forward to that day so much! The past five and a half weeks have been so boring and Hubby is taking it very well getting me anything I need since I can't do anything for myself. I can't wait until I can return the favor by cooking and cleaning again.
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
My First Broken Bone
Posted by Journal of a Jerseyian at 11:32 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment