BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS �

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

My brother


As some of you may know, my brother had open heart surgery in January. He's doing great and he is a very strong person. Due to his job as a fireman, Deborah heart center has featured him in a commercial, billboard and online. Here is the article from the website: http://www.deborah.org/cardiology/yourstory/ys1.html



Early detection is key for uncovering heart problems
Firefighter Saved Through Captain Buscio Screening ProgramNever underestimate the value of early screenings--just ask Bridgeton resident Dan Durand. The 39-year old career firefighter took advantage of Deborah’s “A Gift From Captain Buscio” screening program, a special program catering to New Jersey’s firefighters and police officers. Durand made the trip from the station house in Vineland to the hospital for a routine cardiac check-up. The results gave him the surprise of his life.
“When I had the screening last November it was discovered that I had a murmur,” Durand says. “Then I had an echo and it revealed that one of my valves was malfunctioning. This past January I had my valve replaced at Deborah.”
With expert heart surgery by Deborah’s Dr. Arthur Ng, Durand was out of the hospital three days later. After recuperating for three months, he was cleared to go back to the firehouse and his full firefighting responsibilities. He remains exceptionally grateful to Deborah. “I had no symptoms that would indicate I had a heart problem,” he said. “When I found out right before Christmas that I needed surgery, all I kept thinking was ‘How am I going to tell my family?’”

“But now I feel better than ever. I was absolutely treated like a king while I was at Deborah, and between the screening and my surgery, I can’t say enough nice things about the hospital.” As to his fellow firefighters? Durand is urging all of them to take advantage of the screening program. “Everyone on the shift is coming up now to schedule screenings. I’m walking proof that early detection and screening can help save your life.”

1 comments:

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

Hey, I didn't know you had a blog too!!! I have been missing out. Glad to have found you :) love your posts!